.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

January 31, 2005

Mac Mini Has Landed



UK dealers have started to receive stocks of the new Mac Mini - I've even held one in my hands. I didn't see it running, just held it, cold out of the box. It really is dinky (external power supply not included, natch), and feels weighty and well-built.

The ports round the back all line up very neatly, though I suppose it might get a bit tight round there with a full suite of cables plugged in.

Do I want one? Good question. If I was running a newspaper, I can see no reason why InDesign or Quark XPress wouldn't run sufficiently on a Mac Mini - but the coming generations of these apps will almost certainly be optimised for G5 and dual processors. Same story with most music and video software. On the other hand, if you've got your ambitions in perspective, a Mac Mini will certainly run over 20 tracks of digital audio quite happily (with an external hard drive of course), so a cheap and easy way to set up a multi-track home recording system - or a school media lab.

As I just overheard a salesperson say, anything you can do with an eMac, you could do with a Mac Mini - though for a complete system purchase it's still not as cheap as an eMac.

in other news, Apple have just announced new, speedbumped PowerBooks, if that's your kind of thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home