.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

May 16, 2006

mantra

You think a book's been hyped to death, and then the film comes out.

Even my Mrs is reading it now. I looked at the first few lines: turgid, badly constructed sentences, didn't make me want to read it. Here are two facts:
1. My wife confessed that it took her about 140 pages to "get into it."
2. Tom Hanks' hair looks exceedingly strange in the stills I've seen from the film.

These two facts are unrelated. Or are they?

I will not read The Davinci Code. I will not read it on a boat, I will not, will not, with a goat. I will not read it in the rain, I will not read it on a train. Not in the dark, not in a tree, not in a car - you let me be. I will not read it in a box, I will not read it with a fox. I will not read it in my house, I will not read it with a mouse. I will not read it here or there, I will not read it ANYWHERE!

6 Comments:

  • Mo'75 to that. Bloke's a twat...

    By Blogger patrische, at 5:59 am  

  • Same here, but his hair is strange you say? I might catch the film instead.

    Actually I was in France last year and while everybody read 'the code' by the pool, I read Scott of the Antarctic: A Life of Courage and Tragedy in the Extreme South (ISBN: 0007150687). Which was also hard going to start of with, lots of facts and background information, but turned out to be a really rewarding read. Respect for the man. He was a true hard-nut.

    By Blogger HolySwerve, at 5:59 am  

  • Do you learn your ISBN numbers off by heart J?

    By Blogger patrische, at 6:16 am  

  • Yeah. Here are a some of my favourites:

    ISBN: 0340829710
    ISBN: 3833110538
    ISBN: 174059925X
    ISBN: 0953637174

    By Blogger HolySwerve, at 6:50 am  

  • Said a, with a an accent-a

    By Blogger HolySwerve, at 6:51 am  

  • I bought TDC yonks ago on the way back from New York. The rip off was that you could only get the hardback in USA whereas the paperback was already available in the UK. I asked the shop assistant why - "better margin", was the reply.

    Still, with a two hour wait and eight hour flight it was good use of time so I shelled out the $18 or whatever. And in a warped gin and tonic induced way, I did sort of enjoy it as 'an airport read'.

    Because of the Louvre references and a few other pieces of symbolism I found it reasonably entertaining. My reading of the Holy Blood & HG a few years earlier, meants I did sort of recollect the since well publicised plotline similariites, but I've had pub conversations about Rosicruscians and sundry masonic conspiracies, so this was just more for the heap.

    So despite the opt out phrasing of the post, I think its a bit of entertainment worth the effort and the engagement in the debate. No it didn't get on my goat in the way you suggest it has yours.

    By Blogger rashbre, at 1:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home