.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hoses of the Holy in the Parallel Universe

December 02, 2003

offee opcorn

Treated myself at lunch to a bag of toffee popcorn that had gone past its best, with all of it sticking together in one big lump. The bloke at the checkout started to take it away to swap for one that hadn't "Gone funny," but I called out to stop him. "No! I picked that one deliberately. I like it all stuck together." Slight exhibition of myself in the shop, so no change there.

It was a blast from the past, reminding me of Pim's Toffee Popcorn (or was it Pimm's?), which was only ever available from the Italian shop on the corner near my parents' old house.

Pim's was chewier than Butterkist, softer, more like proper toffee or fudge, and you'd occasionally find a bit that was mostly toffee, which was heavenly. For a while, Asda was doing bakery toffee popcorn which had something of the flavour of Pim's but none of the softness. It was probably soft because it had been sitting in the shop for too long, but that didn't stop me.

Reminds me, Dumpstable had quite a big Italian community, something I never discovered until I was working in the frozen food shop on Saturdays. Because it was at that end of town, all the girls who worked there came from a different school, and they were mostly from Italian families. I think the pattern with the frozen food shop was that one person would get a job, and then all their friends would get any jobs that came up. So there were a couple of Polish guys from my school, and these Italian girls... and the lovely Juliet.

Why there was an Italian community, there used to be a cattle market there or something - or they all worked at the one in Bletchley, which was only a little way up the A5. Meat packers.

Those girls were gorgeous, but their dads used to follow them everywhere, so you had to watch yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home